Gingivitis, halitosis, and receding gums are all symptoms of gum deterioration and, potentially, gum disease, which, if left untreated, can have serious consequences on not only your oral health, but your overall health as well. In honor of National Gum Care Month, we at Dr. Chris Stevens Family Cosmetic Dentistry want to underscore the importance of developing good oral hygiene habits at home and sticking with them. Good gum care on your own, combined with regular checkups at our office, will make for a healthy mouth and a healthier you.
Stay on Track
Proper gum care translates to being proactive and on top of your oral hygiene. In addition to brushing your teeth, here are some practices you and your family can do to keep your gums healthy:
- Floss twice a day and after each meal, if possible
- Use a fluoride rinse once a day after brushing
- Gently massage your gums with a wet toothbrush biweekly
- Use a Waterpik to dislodge food particles and bacteria
- Use a tongue scraper daily to eliminate lingering bacteria
- Gargle with a warm saltwater rinse several times a month
- Eat a healthy diet consisting of leafy greens and proteins
- Avoid sweets and other sugary and cavity-inducing foods
Schedule a Checkup Today
Along with practicing good oral hygiene habits at home, seeing a dentist regularly is key to complete and thorough gum and dental care. As both a cosmetic and general dentist in Sun Prairie, WI, Dr. Stevens is committed to providing you and your family with the very best care possible. Schedule an appointment today by calling 866-901-7009 so you can see why Dr. Stevens and his staff are consistently rated as one of the top dentists and dental practices in Sun Prairie. Or, simply follow the link on our site to request an appointment online. Referrals are never needed, and we are always accepting new patients. We sincerely hope you follow our at-home gum guidelines, and we hope to see you in our office soon!